Summer Examinations for 2020
As you are most likely aware, the Secretary of State for Education announced that all examinations for summer 2020 have been cancelled. Awarding Bodies are working tirelessly with regulators and government departments to ensure that students affected by this decision receive a qualification so they can progress to the next stage of their lives. Awarding Bodies have announced the following:
• The DfE and regulators such as Ofqual and JCQ will develop and set out a process that will provide a calculated grade to each student which reflects their performance as fairly as possible, and will work with exam boards to ensure this is consistently applied for all students.
• Exam boards will be asking centres to submit their judgement about the grade that they believe the student would have received if exams had gone ahead.
• To produce this, centres will be asked to take into account a range of evidence and data including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment.
• Exam boards will then combine this information with other relevant data, including prior attainment, and use this information to produce a calculated grade for each student, which will be a best assessment of the work they have put in.
• The aim is to provide these calculated grades to students before the end of July.
• These grades will be indistinguishable from those provided in other years.
• We’ll also aim to ensure that the distribution of grades follows a similar pattern to that in other years, so that this year’s students aren’t disadvantaged.
We will continue to update you as we receive information from the awarding bodies further government information can be found on https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020.
In the meantime to support your child’s progress and learning at home, work packs have been produced and are in the process of being sent home to you, students can also continue to study on-line using online resources that are appropriate to their key stage groups, please see the enclosed recommended websites.