The Wilson Stuart School has been known by this name since September 1954, when it was renamed after the prominent orthopaedic surgeon Mr. Francis Wilson Stuart who had died in July of that year.

The school was first opened in 1902 as Dean Street Cripple School . In 1907 the school moved to George Street West , where it remained for the next 49 years.

In 1956 the school, now under it’s present name of The Wilson Stuart School , moved to the newly built premises on Perry Common Road, Erdington, where it remains to this day.

It is interesting to note from the records how terminology that we now consider derogatory was being used in connection with people with disabilities until quite recently.

Recent History

In 2006 Wilson Stuart became the first Special School in England to become a Specialist Sports College.

In 2007 the school became a Sports Partnership Hub School.

In 2009 Wilson Stuart’s Sixth Form received funding from The Premier League. We now have a classroom and students based at Aston Villa Football Club, who follow vocational programmes there.

In 2011, Following removal of Sports Partnership funding, and with support from 33 local schools we set up the first Community Interest Company to maintain our Sports Partnership programmes in Birmingham.

In July 2012 we became the first Special Academy School in Birmingham

In September 2013, in partnership with University College Birmingham, Wilson Stuart will be providing education for students aged between 19-25, another first for a Special School in the city.

Acknowledgements

This historical information is compiled from research done by Sue Jones for an assignment completed during the BTEC HNC in Public Administration, taken at Birmingham Polytechnic from 1990 – 1992.