Interventions at Wilson Stuart
• Termly targeted interventions for Literacy, Numeracy and Communication with the Interventions teachers or the Communication Team.
• Extra support to improve outcomes for our students who are LAC and EAL.
• Targeted support from the Communication team for our students with SLCN (Speech, Language and Communication Needs) who have an NHS POC (package of care).
• For all students in Key stages 1, 2, 3 and 4 who may have been identified, through the termly Literacy and Numeracy progress data, as requiring intervention time.
• The Interventions teachers use recognised diagnostic assessments to help inform start points for all new students to the school at Key stages 1, 2, 3 and 4.
• When students move from Key stage 2 to 3 within the school, a further baseline check is carried out to help with Secondary Pathway identification.
• 15–30-minute sessions for Literacy and Numeracy Interventions with the Intervention teacher.
• Students are identified for an Intervention by their class teacher, if they are class based, or their English and Maths teacher if they are on the Secondary Challenge Pathway.
• Leads for English and Maths may recommend a student for Interventions, after careful consideration with class teachers communicated via the Intervention Referral Form on the Staff Hub.
• Sessions with the Intervention teacher are primarily one-to-one and occasionally small group.
• Interventions teachers join other Reading teachers for the Primary and Secondary phonics sessions.
• Those students with SLCN on an NHS POC may receive extra support from the Communication Team to work on their POC targets – this may be through attending a Communication Group or in-class support.
• Intervention sessions are fun and interactive, aiming for full engagement from the student.
• The Intervention team designs bespoke resources for all students to enhance their personalised intervention time.
• Intervention teachers and the Communication Team design their own timetable, overseen by the Directors of Learning.
• All planning for the Interventions sessions for Literacy and Numeracy is logged in the Assessment Folder on the Common Area.
• Progress from Intervention sessions is captured on EFL against the students’ PLGS or the Literacy and Numeracy Framework.
• Planning for Communication groups is monitored by the Director of Communication and Interaction.
• Teachers to access feedback from the sessions through the Interventions Logs and EFL, as well as verbal feedback from the Interventions Team.
• Closes gaps in learning for Literacy and Numeracy
• Improved progress data for Literacy, Numeracy and Communication
• NHS POC targets met for those students with SLCN.
• EAL students can better access the curriculum.
• Students who are LAC are provided with extra support and may achieve in line with their peers